History

On December 2, 1907, an organizational meeting was held to discuss the formation of a Evangelical Lutheran Church in Veblen. The charter membership consisted of approximately 34 people. During the first years, the services were held in the Presbyterian Church, which had been built a few years earlier. From 1911 to 1914, services were held in Woodman Hall, which was above a building on South Main.¬†On April 7, 1914 a special meeting was held to appoint a committee to establish a site for this new church. In June of 2014, a building committee was chosen; but, it wasn’t until June 7, 1915 that votes were cast in favor of building the new church. The construction of the new church began in March of 1917 and was finished in the fall for a total of $5,200.

The first service in the new church was held on February 18, 1918. This was a Confirmation service with Communion. For several years, services were held in both Norwegian and English. In 1926, it was decided that English would be used for regular services. In 1964, the name of the church was changed to Our Savior’s Lutheran Church. Our Saviors experienced a growth in membership over the next several months as many families from the rural churches, Palestine and Zion, decided to join. In the spring of 1964, the congregation decided to proceed as soon as possible to build a church and educational unit.

Because of increased activity and demands of a pastor , it was decided that a call should be made for Our Savior’s only rather than share with the rural churches, as had been done for many years. A vote was taken on October 20, 1965 on whether or note to proceed with the new building. The motion passed and a building committee consisting of five men and one woman was appointed. Groundbreaking the new site of Our Savior’s Lutheran was held May 21, 1967. The site was completed in the spring of 1968 and a special dedication service was held May 19, 1968. Cost of the new church, present-day facility, was $220,000.